By Tom Lansford Ph.D.
This ebook analyzes the complicated explanations and results of the September eleven, 2001, terrorist assaults either locally and across the world, and examines the next wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.
• presents insightful charges from modern figures and first records starting from Osama bin Laden's 1998 fatwa opposed to the us to the 2006 Iraq examine workforce Report
• includes 12 biographies starting from Osama bin encumbered to George W. Bush that offer precise heritage on very important figures from the era
• offers a chronology of occasions from the Nineteen Seventies to the current day, together with occurrences resulting in the September eleven, 2001, assaults and the Iraq War
• contains a decide on bibliography of significant works at the September eleven, 2001, assaults; the struggle in Iraq; place of birth defense; and the conflict on terror
• encompasses a certain thesaurus of keyword phrases reminiscent of "Shiite" and "weapons of mass destruction"
Read or Download 9/11 and the Wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. A Chronology and Reference Guide PDF
Similar historical study & educational resources books
Viking marauders of their longships burst in the course of the defences of ninth-century Europe, awesome terror into the hearts of peasants and rulers alike for 2 centuries. however the Vikings have been greater than simply marine warriors and this atlas exhibits their improvement as investors and craftsmen, explorers, settlers and mercenaries.
A thorough survey of the origins and improvement of the main specified American advertisement entertainments that emerged among over the process the nineteenth century and into the 20 th, together with P. T. Barnum_s American Museum, freak express, and circus, in addition to blackface minstrelry, Buffalo Bill_s Wild West exhibit, and vaudeville.
This assortment examines the impression of East Asian faith and tradition at the public sphere, outlined as an idealized discursive area that mediates the legit and personal spheres. Contending that the actors and brokers at the fringes of society have been instrumental in shaping the general public sphere in conventional and smooth East Asia, it considers how those outliers give a contribution to spiritual, highbrow, and cultural conversation within the public sphere.
- Funeral Customs: Their Origin and Development
- Dynasties of the World: A Chronological and Genealogical Handbook (Oxford Quick Reference)
- The Age of Wars of Religion, 1000-1650 [2 volumes]: An Encyclopedia of Global Warfare and Civilization (Greenwood Encyclopedias of Modern World Wars)
- The Who, the What, and the When: 65 Artists Illustrate the Secret Sidekicks of History
- Borders and Borderlands in Contemporary Culture
- Pocket Guide to Flags
Extra resources for 9/11 and the Wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. A Chronology and Reference Guide
As a precaution against a potential WMD attack, the United States began to require that military personnel be vaccinated against anthrax as the result of intelligence that Iraq and other countries had programs to use the disease as a biological weapon. 11 12 9/11 and the Wars in Afghanistan and Iraq On December 17, 1999, the United Nations created, through Security Council Resolution 1284, the UN Monitoring, Veriﬁcation and Inspection Commission (UNMOVIC). UNMOVIC superseded UNSCOM and was tasked to oversee investigations and inspections of Iraq’s WMD program.
Mohammad oversaw the logistics of the planning, while bin Laden and his senior aides selected the terrorists who would ultimately carry out the attack. The al Qaeda leader provided about $500,000 to initially ﬁnance the plan. Mohammad wanted terrorists to attempt to take over at least four airliners. He wanted multiple hijackings in case one or more of the al Qaeda groups failed to seize their targeted aircraft. S. security ofﬁcials and complicate the American response. Mohammad envisioned teams of four to ﬁve hijackers.
Nonetheless, bin Laden still had access to a personal fortune worth an estimated $300 million. In addition, al Qaeda continued to receive funding and backing from supporters throughout the Persian Gulf and Middle East, including Saudi Arabia. Estimates showed that al Qaeda received about $10–20 million per month in donations and funding, more than enough to fund an ever-expanding series of attacks against the United States and Western targets. In January 1995, al Qaeda plotter Ramzi Yousef attempted to launch a terrorism campaign.